Monday, February 15, 2010

Ramblings.

You know, it has only recently occured to me how frighteningly close I am to college.
I've only just one more year of high school and I have still no idea what I want to do with my life.
In theory, I could write stories for a living (if that is indeed an actual career path), but what if I suffer an unfortunate and permanent case of writer's block, and thusly would be unable to support myself, spiraling into a deep depression that eventually ends up with me being one of those crazy homeless people you find on street corners who spits at passers-by?
Or maybe I will be able to think of something to write, but when I bring it in to be looked at by a publishing house, an employee will look at it and say something along the lines of, "This is a terrible story that is significantly less adorable than you think it is, and if that was not enough to convince me not to publish your story, you also have something gross and unsightly in your left nostril. Rather than offering you a tissue, I shall give you back your story to blow your nose in, for that is all it is good for. Good day to you, madam."
Both of which seem like unpleasant scenarios, but honestly, I cannot think of anything else I'd rather do, aside from lying in bed like some sort of paranoid, insecure lump all day.
Which is why I'm kind of freaking out about the whole thing.
But I suppose I'll figure something out sooner or later.
Good night to you, dear Blog.
Adieu.

4 comments:

Hayden said...

I know where you're coming from on the freaking out side of things. I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do towards the end of my high school career, either, and just ended up going into computer engineering, because I felt like computers were the only thing at which I had any reasonable skill.

However, a year and a half into my degree, I realized that I hate computers and that there is nothing in the world that I would rather do less for the rest of my life than write computer software.

Okay...I don't hate computers. But I do hate working with them. That's why I switched to mechanical engineering after taking a physics class during my sophomore year. I had had physics before, but something inside of me clicked. I knew that that's what I needed to be doing with my life, and switched as fast as possible. And here I am, a year and a half later, still very happy with my decision.

Anyway, my long, drawn-out point here is that it's perfectly normal and reasonable to freak out about it, given that society now expects us to lay out a career plan as soon as we hit approximately eight years old. However, just go into college knowing that you do have a little time to decide what you actually want to do. There's typically a decent year of general education before you really move into your major, anyway, so just take some random classes and give yourself some time to figure things out.

You'll be all right, I assure you.

:] said...

Thanks very much for the input!
And, yeah, you're right about me not needing to figure everything out right away; I suppose I'm just freaked out because everyone around me seems to have their entire lives plotted out up until retirement, and I'm still trying to decide what to do next year, which is a bit stressful.
But, as you said, I don't need to figure it out right away. I think I'll just enjoy being a kid for a while longer.

Mariah Irvin said...

Your post shows that your funny! I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Once you get to college and see everything that's available, it's impossible not to find something you like.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.