Sunday, January 1, 2012

Attempt at a New Year's Resolution: write more stories, dangit!

Elise Knight would like to say that, for all intents and purposes, she is not a witch. However, Morgan Knight, Elise’s grandmother, was once one of the most powerful and feared witches in all the land; “was,” in any event. Currently, the 90-year old Morgan was contained to smaller acts of malevolence, such as cackling menacingly in her rocking chair and occasionally turning the odd passer-by into a cabbage. Elise never really minded. Some people’s grandmothers forgot names, and others turned people into cabbages – it was just one of those things. Besides, it’s not as if they permanently stayed as cabbages. The spell wore off in a day or two and those who weren’t carried off by wild animals or made into a nice salad turned out mostly all right. Unsurprisingly, though, because of her grandmother’s aforementioned fondness to turn would-be playmates for Elise into fresh produce, she really never had much luck making friends. The villagers assumed - and justifiably so, I should think - that the poor girl was just like her senile old grandmother and, if given the barest hint of a chance, would hex their children's normal heads into leafy green ones. Thus, the villager's children were never allowed to set foot anywhere near their cottage.

As such, Elise was a rather lonely little girl. Sometimes, she would attempt to talk with her grandmother, but old Morgan could never really keep up her side of the conversation, as her vocabulary was limited to chortling maliciously to herself and snoring loudly. Elise was positively desperate for someone to speak to who would not fall asleep every 30 seconds, or threaten to turn her into a vegetable when she misbehaved. So, with this in mind, Elise set her heart on traveling someplace where either a. no one knew magic or b. practiced restraint with their magic and didn't just turn people into leafy green heads of cabbage all willy-nilly.

_______________________________________________________

Well. It's been a while, hasn't it?

I missed you, Blog, I truly did. Did you miss me?

Who am I kidding, of course you did.

Now, dear Blog, I rather hope that you like this story. I, uh, I'm not really entirely sure where I'm headed with it, if I even intend to head anywhere with it at all. But, hopefully I can write more soon, as I am sort of, kind of attempting to update more lately.

BUT enough about that. It's 1 o'clock in the morning and I am off to bed to dream of cabbages and cackling witches.

No comments: